Thursday, December 30, 2010

Top Books of the Year

I had a goal this year to read 100 books. I didn't think that would be too far fetched as I read 92 books last year. But sadly I only got to 86 books this year, but I blame my first trimester of pregnancy, I was way too sick and not feeling good to read very much. Looking at my list of books this year there were only a few that stood out to me as being really great. I hope to rectify that situation next year. I hope next year is the year of amazing books! Here are my top five books that I read this last year.
The Help is one of those books that will stick with me forever, it was just that good. I didn't know too much about it except that it had been the top selling book for quite a bit of the year when I picked it up. Even if you don't think this is one that you'll enjoy, just pick it up and read it; it's that amazing! I put it akin to "To Kill a Mockingbird", it's just such an important read. I really can't gush enough about this book, seriously go pick it up now and read it, you won't regret it! To say that I'm a Riordan fan is an understatement and to say that I liked this book is a drastic understatement. This book was clever, witty and just plain fun. The Percy Jackson series included gods from Greek mythology and this one included the gods from Egyptian mythology. I am not well versed in Egyptian mythology but this book sure helps you know who the major players are. I couldn't read this book fast enough, I just couldn't get enough of the two main characters. I caught myself laughing out loud at 1 in the morning, probably annoying Joe. One of my favorite series ended this year (his last book came out on my birthday, I'm pretty sure he did it as a personal birthday present for me). Mull knows how to end a series. There was plenty of fighting, reconciliation and revelations throughout this magnificent end of a magnificent series. I recommend this series to so many people and I really haven't had anybody tell me they didn't like it. Go pick it up and start reading it with your family, it's so much fun! Although this book follows a lot of what I read, dystopian society with a very courageous young heroine, it was different enough for me to really love. I also think I have an odd fascination with midwives which is what this young girl is studying to be. Sometimes I find myself thinking of this book as I'm letting my mind wander. I'm extremely happy that she wrote a sequel to this book. I might get some flack for putting this on my top 5 list but I just think Collins stuck to who she is and finished the series the way you know stays true to her writing. It was dark, much darker than the other ones, but seriously with all they go through how can it not be that dark? She kills off people, makes people pretty miserable, but really I didn't expect much different. I also think she ended with some hope which is a little unlike her writing, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I read this pretty slowly so I could savor everything and really take in the last of my favorite series. I thought she ended it perfectly and am completely and utterly happy with this final installment.
I am always looking for a good read so if you come across one you think I need to read, I would love to hear about it! Did you read any of these on the list? What did you think? I'm excited to see what the next year of books will entail. Happy reading!

3 comments:

Kerstin said...

I always love when you do these posts, it gives me some ideas about what I should be reading. I also really liked Mockingjay, so you won't be getting any flack from me.

Kilburn-Hall family said...

I also loved The Help and the Mockingjay series. Now I need to look for the others! Interesting you are intrigued by midwifery since that's what aspired to be a long time ago! There is an older book called The Midwife that was really good--look for it!

Unknown said...

I was giving myself a big pat on the back that I had read all of these this year too. Then I remembered that I'm not finished with the Red Pyramid. So close. I really enjoyed all of these books and both my kids finished the Red Pyramid so does that count?